RADIO PROJECT #3

Making

My main role in this project has been to organise work loads and try to help guide collaboration, I’m also combining peoples work and mixing it. So far I have found that mixing the pieces has not been too hard, as everyone has created unique pieces and they each serve their own purpose. They seem to work well together, Szymon’s piece creating an eery stirring and creating tension, Daniel’s piece accelerates the tension and chaos into the crescendo, Sephora’s piece creates a calm otherworldly sound-space that somehow stays within the style Szymon’s piece giving the project a full circle feeling. Toby has created sound effects that give the piece texture, subtle sounds that ease us into the madness. Raul and jack wrote the script, Raul also recorded the dialogue and sourced a voice actor.

My contribution to the piece is the crescendo and the hard cut. Appearance and audience being a strong theme I experimented with shaping, moulding and manipulating a crowd of voices. I started by bringing in the sound of a crowd very low in the mix at the point where the protagonist says ‘our society is a spectacle’, I then gradually increased the volume of the crowd. I used a bit crusher on the crowd and gradually decreased the resolution distorting the audio. I also placed a noise gate on the crowd and side-chained it with the dialogue as the input, i started with the threshold very low so the crowd sounded normal, I then gradually increased the threshold leading up to the crescendo. This had the effect of very gradually shaping the crowds voices to the singular protagonist voice, so the crowd noise increases in intensity, and concentrates into the protagonist.