SPECIALISATION PROJECT

Spatialisation

My auditory response to this short film will be mainly focused on providing an immersive semi-realistic environment, a large part of how this will be accomplished is through the spatialisation of the sound. I plan to mix the audio in 5.1 as a believe that this format will give me what I need in terms of spatial movement of the sound. The majority of the sequences are fairly static, and I will need to created a realistic environment with atmos and foley. There are a few visual sequences that have a lot to offer in terms of movement of sound, I will separate these scenes and identify what sound will be needed and how they must move in the space.

1

I find this short sequence very intense, and I think the intimacy could be emphasised with a spatially comprehensive sound sequence, I imagine something close and enclosing. The content of the sound could be quite melodic to enhance the emotional aspect of the intimate scene.

2

In this sequence the camera slowly pans around the subject while the fire spits small sparks/cinder, I feel this would be an interesting sound to move around the mix. I think it will align the audiences experience with that of the character, hopefully creating a deeper sense of immersion.

3

In this sequence the subject walks through a small corridor with stone walls while birds fly above. I think that this will be an interesting scene to create spatially, ill try to make it realistic in relation to the architecture through use of spatialisation and reverb.

4

I feel this sequence will be one of the most spatially rich scenes, the camera moves forward through the ultra slow motion shot, moving towards the campfire and the lightning striking the tree. This will be the most challenging part of the project in terms of creating sound effects.

5

This sequence follows directly from 4, I can use the same sound design and pan it around the character. This will hopefully again enhance the immersion of the piece.

6

The camera moves backwards through an ultra slow motion shot, the character is throwing rocks at dogs about to attack him and the coffin. The rocks pass closely by the camera, I think this will sound very good In surround. Shortly after this, the dogs appear from behind, ill create some viscous sounds that will emerge suddenly from behind the audience.