PROFESSIONAL FUTURES – REFLECTIONS

Future Aspirations

During my time at university and at work experiences I have met many people working in sound, and I have made a point of always asking how their careers started. From my experience so far, I have come to understand that there are drastic variations in creativity within sound work. Some sound jobs are incredibly creative, utilising your interests in unique processes. There are also jobs that are more admin work, organising projects or tedious monotonous editing work. I think that it would be good to experience all aspects of this industry, however I would like to manage my time in the smartest way and work with my freedoms as I have them.

I am in a fortunate position in life at the moment, as I have parents who live in London, and I do not have to work full time. I cannot rely on this luxury for too long, but I am going to take advantage of this freedom. I would like to use this time directly after graduating to work on as many films and works as possible, i have the most creative freedom I will have in a long time and I believe that this is the correct time to build a unique portfolio. I have a short film lined up for July, and I will have access to a recording studio for a week in late may with which I’ll be recording a body of work (EP or Album).

After I have built up my portfolio, i would like to focus on getting paid freelance jobs. I have a suspicion that I will not be able to land enough jobs or get paid enough to sustain myself solely through freelance work, in which case I will start applying for post houses in London. I have had many recommendations such as BoomPost, Deluxe Entertainment and 750mph. I think that working in these kinds of environments would help me understand audio post production processes more and get me comfortable being part of it. I believe that these environments would also give me the skills to become a better sound designer, and understand how to meet demands of clients and maintain professional relationships.

My long term goal is to eventually return to freelance work after gaining the relevant experience, everyone I have met who have made a name for themselves in post production sound work as freelancers. To me this seems like the best situation, as you maintain the creative satisfaction of work and self sustainability, also the freedom to work remotely for the majority of the time.