SPATIALISATION

Today I attempted mixing in 5.1 in the performance lab. I did this as an exercise to grasp the process of moving sounds around a 5.1 formation, rather than it being an actual mixing session. I found the process very similar to mixing in quadrophonic, although I find quadraphony more balanced in terms of focus. Quadraphonic mixing feels like working on an equal plane, there is no focus on direction. I found 5.1 to have a clear direction, it seemed like working with a fontal plane with a lesser plane behind you. The three monitors at the front seem the most prominent, I think this is because of the visual context attached to the format. I found it very easy to move the sounds around the room and automate movement with the latch function, this was mostly useful in the slow motion scenes where I could be more creative with the sound design. I would like also use the spatialisation in a realistic manner, to create deep and textured soundscape.

This was a useful exercise for an introduction into the format. I now know what I need to do in preparation for my mixing sessions in the composition studio. I need to finish gathering and arranging atmospheres, I then need to create the FX I need to and mix them in mono. With all of the tracks I need, mixed and finished, I will go into the composition studio and mix them in 5.1. I will also research good practices for mixing in 5.1, perhaps how to structure the project, sends and busses, and some standard practices and priorities for 5.1 mixing.